The 0xC0000142 can occur in any of the Windows versions but usually occurs when an application fails to initialise properly. This 0xC0000142 application error is a very irritating and common error which affects a variety of core Windows applications. However, whenever you try to run the program then you will get this error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application. There are many causes of this error which might affect your computer system. Some of them are discussed below.
Some Causes of Application Error Code 0xC0000142
- Malfunction or corruption with the program when you are trying to use it
- When you are trying to run “cmd.exe” which is the DOS emulator program for your computer system
- Corrupt or damaged files which the various applications you need to use.
Sometimes, damaged or corrupted files are required to use by your computer and in case, if it damaged, then it will make your computer tremendously unreliable and causes an error like 0xC0000142. Once your system shows this error then from that time you will be unable to run any of the installed apps, and Windows system shows you that the application was unable to start. Regardless of how many times you run and close the app, but the error does not solve itself, because it’s not a common error. The genuine reason behind this error is the DDL; it launches the application is unsigned or digitally no longer valid.
Steps to Fix Application Error 0xC0000142
Before starting the process, we recommend you that create a complete backup of your registry to skip any future error or issues. There are various ways to fix this error, try one of them in all the methods. Here how to fix it:
Method-1: Try to Repair Damaged Application
We already discussed it that the application was unable to start correctly, and the error 0xC0000142 is caused because of some malfunctioning or the corruption of the installed programs so that we will first try to repair or remove the damaged or error showing app and again check the issues. You should follow the given steps one by one and also in ascending order to avoid errors. Here how to do it:
- Press Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the Run command box.
- Then, type Control Panel in the Run command box.
- Hit Enter key.
- After it, choose the Program and Features option.
- Next, right-click on error showing program that you want to uninstall and choose Uninstall option.
After uninstalling the program, now download the fresh copy of the uninstalled app and then again try to install them.
Method-2: Compatibility Mode
According to the various users, they solved this issue by easily running the compatibility program on the compatibility mode. To fix this issue follow the given steps carefully. Here how to do it:
- Firstly, right-click on the Application which creates a problem.
- Then, select the Properties option.
- After that, navigate to the Compatibility tab.
- Next, click on the Run Compatibility Troubleshooter.
- Again, try to run the application. If it works then, you need to save all settings.
But, if you are still facing the same issue then follow the below given steps:
First, click on the Check mark on Run this program in compatibility mode.
Then, select the operating system of the driver that you are using.
Again, tick mark on the Run this program as an Administrator. Lastly, apply these modifications and exit the program. Now again try to execute the application again to check the issue.
Ethan Grey is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Samuel has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.